18 Sep President Prize Preview
So the fourth major of the season is the Presidents Prize. With two rounds of Stableford at full handicaps the straight forward format sets up a really open contest. With the promise of sunshine – albeit with a strong westerly wind – round one looks set to be a cracker. The wind may well be a factor. The 3rd and 6th will play a little shorter and the big hitters may well fancy driving the 9th. Not so easy will be the 4th and 8th and a return of 4 points in the first round from either of those will be good going for anyone.
We look at a few of the players that may be in the mix. Looking back to our presentation night and the winners there, you may find the leader after round one from there.
- Andy Wade (13). After his win in The Captain Prize and in good form he’ll be confident to make a mark in another major and be another “chicken dinner” – although everyone has had enough of cockney rhyming slang, now.
- Rob Watkins (5). Back to steady score building may suit Rob. The lure of a third major will surely have Rob chomping at the bit.
- Barry Mills (26). Proved that Stableford can more than suit the high handicapper. Barry’s stunning win in the Rabbit Captain’s Prize will see him confident of playing well.
- Ryan Gaffney (16). The Gaffney brothers have been right in the mix this year and last years defending champion should have extra punch in that swing.
- Adam Gibson (12), A Centenary win with 41pts shows that “Gibbo” can power his way to another title.
- Jonny Rob (15). Won a host of cash on the Race Night as well as 37pts to win the individual Captains Round 2. In excellent form.